Chalk it up with back to school decor
With back-to-school in full force, what better way to relive the nostalgia of school, without actually having to go back? By doing some swift and easy décor upgrades in your apartment with chalkboards. There’s three ways to go about this: with actual chalkboards, with chalkboard paint or chalkboard contact paper. Decide what works best for you and unleash your creativity.
- Set up small chalkboards throughout your home to write inspirational messages on and use as decoration. Chalkboards come in many different shapes, sizes and colors. And so do chalks, which are not only available in a myriad of colors, but also forms: from classic chalks to liquid chalk and chalk pens, you can pick and choose according to your preference and crafty project.
- Smaller chalkboards are an easy way to keep track of things in your home. For example, a small chalkboard artfully set up on the kitchen counter can list the week’s menu. A slightly larger one, hung on a wall can list the day’s or week’s chores assigned to different family members. Once the chore is completed it can be wiped off.
- If the refrigerator is your own purchase or on the off chance your landlord will allow you to do so, consider painting the refrigerator door with chalk paint. Other than then gaining a super stylish black fridge, you now have the added bonus of directly writing reminders and running a grocery list on it.
- If you’re into canning or simply keep spices and dry goods in mason jars, paint strips of chalkboard on them. You’ll save mountains of sticky tags and be able to update the contents in a jiffy.
- A fun, multipurpose project for families with kids is converting a table to a chalkboard art space. Pick up an old table from your nearest thrift store and stick some chalkboard contact paper on the tabletop. This can become extremely useful in areas with extended periods of inclement weather or during sleepovers. Kids can play battleships directly on the table or design their own toy care racecourse. Bonus point: chalkboard paper is easy to install and replace.
- You can give the chalkboard paper treatment to cheap placemats as well. Not only is it fun for kids to draw on them after dinner, but it makes seating arrangements so easy when you have company over
- Painting strips on planters or pots takes care of remembering what flowers or herbs are growing on your balcony.
- A large chalkboard in a high-traffic area, say near the entry is also a great way to make visitors feel welcome. Just ask them to sign or write a message on the board when arriving to your party (after you bought or updated your renter’s insurance of course).